Legal Summer Intern
Better Markets (www.bettermarkets.com) is a non-profit, non-partisan, and independent organization founded in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis to promote the public interest in the financial markets, support the financial reform of Wall Street and make our financial system work for all Americans again.
The successful candidate will assist us in all aspects of our work, including the preparation of comment letters, amicus briefs, litigation documents, reports, and related matters. This position offers a terrific learning experience, as the candidate will have the opportunity to work on important, interesting, and high-profile matters under the supervision of accomplished attorneys in a collegial environment located in downtown Washington, D.C.
- The Legal Intern will work directly with the Legal Director & Securities Specialist;
- Conduct fast and thorough legal research relating to securities, commodities, banking, and administrative law; procedural rules governing trial and appellate practice; the law governing amicus participation; and other topics;
- Conduct general research relating to financial market regulation;
- Monitor court dockets and digest and organize court filings;
- Proofread and cite-check documents; and
- Perform other tasks in support of our mission as assigned.
A commitment to working for the public interest;
Availability to work at least 20 hours per week;
Excellent legal research, writing, and oral communication skills;
Proficiency in the use of Lexis, Courtlink, Word, and Excel;
Strong familiarity with Blue Book citation form;
A strong work ethic;
An ability to work cooperatively with others in a small team environment; and
Ideally some familiarity with, or experience in, litigation and appellate advocacy; law review participation; and a basic understanding of securities, commodities law, and/or banking law.
Better Markets is an equal opportunity employer. Please send cover letter, resume and a writing sample to the attention of Stephen Hall at email@example.com.