Legal Spring Intern
Better Markets, (www.bettermarkets.com) a non-partisan, non-profit organization promoting the public interest in financial reform in the U.S. global capital markets seeks a legal intern. The successful candidate will assist us in all aspects of our work, including the preparation of comment letters, amicus briefs, reports, and related matters and work with senior and experienced attorneys. This position offers a terrific learning experience, as the candidate will have the opportunity to work on important, interesting, and high-profile matters under the supervision of accomplished attorneys in a collegial environment located in downtown Washington, D.C.
- Conduct legal research relating to securities and commodities law, administrative law, procedural rules governing appellate practice and amicus participation, and other topics
- Conduct general research relating to financial market regulation
- Monitor court dockets and digest and organize court filings;
- Proofread and cite-check documents; and
- Perform other tasks in support of our mission as assigned.
- A commitment to working for the public interest
- Availability to work at least 20 hours per week
- Excellent legal research, writing, and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in use of Lexis, Courtlink, Word, and Excel
- A strong work ethic
- An ability to work cooperatively with others in a small team environment
- Ideally some familiarity or experience in appellate advocacy and on law review, and a basic understanding of securities and commodities law.
Better Markets is an equal opportunity employer. Please send cover letter, resume and a writing sample to the attention of Stephen Hall at email@example.com.