Better Markets (www.bettermarkets.com) is a non-partisan, non-profit organization promoting the public interest in financial reform in the U.S. global capital markets. We advocate for transparency, accountability, and oversight in the financial markets through a variety of activities, including comment letters on proposed rules, amicus briefs in litigation, in-depth research reports, analysis of proposed legislation, and advocacy through all media channels.
The successful candidate will assist us in all aspects of our work, including the preparation of comment letters, amicus briefs, reports, and related matters. This position offers a terrific learning experience, as the candidate will have the opportunity to work on important, interesting, and high-profile matters under the supervision of accomplished attorneys in a collegial environment located in downtown Washington, D.C.
This position reports to the Legal Director and Securities Specialist. The successful candidate will be a dynamic, proactive, articulate, experienced, and highly motivated professional who will work with the Securities Specialist and other staff members on a variety of projects.
- Conduct legal research relating to securities, commodities, and banking law; administrative law; procedural rules governing appellate practice and amicus participation; and other topics;
- Conduct general research relating to financial market regulation;
- Monitor court dockets and digest and organize court filings;
- Proofread, Shepardize, and cite-check documents;
- Monitor developments in financial regulation; and
- Perform other tasks in support of our mission as assigned.
- J.D. degree, with one to three years of experience;
- Excellent legal research, writing, and oral communication skills;
- Proficiency in use of Lexis Advance, CourtLink, PACER, Word, and Excel;
- A basic understanding of securities or commodities law;
- A commitment to working for the public interest;
- A strong work ethic; and
- An ability to work cooperatively with others in a small team environment.
- Experience in appellate advocacy and on law review is desirable.
Better Markets is an equal opportunity employer. Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to the attention of Stephen Hall at email@example.com.